Friday, August 13, 2010

A Better Parent - A Better Me

I was writing in my journal yesterday and I noticed a book I have been reading "Children are From Heaven" by John Gray. It is a parenting book recommended to me by Maia Berens. I love the book and have learned much from it. What I realize now is that the book has helped but my work on myself is really what has made me a better parent.

Before my work with Maia and You University, I had been really emotional. Our emotions make us human but my emotions were running my life. They were not ones of joy and happiness but of anger, fear, resentment, regret and lots of sadness. I was allowing myself to ruin my life by not taking care of myself. It has taken much work and countless life coaching sessions to really work through these emotions and why they are so prevalent in me.

After working with my coaching group and Maia, huge changes have transpired. I am a calmer parent. I no longer allow those emotions to take control of me. I work through them and let my true love shine through towards my children. They see that Mommy is listening and being patient.

I can't say the difference happened overnight and it was not one thing that really changed my life. It was a multitude of tools, faith, prayer, and support that really helped me transition into this person that I really am. My parenting has been a wonderful by-product of me finding me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I think I will look into getting that book. I could use all the help I can get when it comes to being a better parent and person.

    www.mandalynandthestinkycheese.com

    ReplyDelete