Monday, July 19, 2010

Family Vacation Fosters Creativity


Our family went on a short, much needed vacation recently. We drove down to San Diego and camped at Mission Bay. It was perfect. We swam, played in the sand, went to Sea World and played some more. The weather was great; warm with a cool breeze and the water was wonderful.

The long drive allowed me to get some much needed thinking time. I listened to my music and books and just focused in on my thoughts. I made a mental list of what makes me happy, what do I enjoy doing, what do I want, where do I find my drive. I thought about my family and how I can accomplish the goals I have in mind for them.

When we got to the campground, our main goal was to spend time with each other. No agenda. We didn't have to go anywhere. We enjoyed our time and the amenities of the bay. The time we spent together was memorable and helped us appreciate the age of our boys. It was a great opportunity for us to see the importance of family vacations and the need to plan more.

I reflected on our drive home on all of the things that I really want to focus in on. I noticed that before we had left I was getting burned out. I was definitely in need of finding motivation. Spending close time with my family without any expectations or looming deadlines had allowed me to just be. My creativity has come back. I am determined to see my goals through.

Lessons learned in this trip:
-Taking a break is necessary for optimal creativity.
-My family brings me joy so focus in on it.
-Now is the time to live, don't put it off for another day.
-My families health is very important and needs to be one of my top priorities.
-My children need to be nurtured and educated by me and my husband. This short time that we have them is momentous and should be cherished.


1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love the picture! Cute boys. Second, you are so wise to have taken this trip and re-energized yourself. I appreciate you taking the time to share this bit with us. Anytime I can maximize my potential I am willing to listen. It was wonderful to hear that basically I need a vacation with no deadlines! I will do this Adrienne.

    ReplyDelete