Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grieving and Growing


Yesterday was an interesting day for me. I had a phone call with a coaching friend of mine. We primarily discussed the importance of grieving and feeling your emotions. At the end of the call my husband had walked into the house to tell me of some tragic news concerning a dear friend of mine.

Both of these events brought some tremendous insight on the grieving process and how we treat ourselves during different emotions.

It is amazing to me that we just shove our emotions aside. We don't allows ourselves to feel. We are taught from a young age to "stop crying", "shake it off" or "get over it". Later on we enforce what we have been taught by making ourselves feel guilty for our emotions. Or worse, we make ourselves believe we are "fine".

I realized today it is okay to grieve. It is okay if I don't want to talk or if I do. We all react differently. Acknowledge those emotions, feel them, learn from them, and move on. We will all do those steps within different time frames but it is important that
we go through those steps.

Every event in our life is teaching us something different. We may not learn the lesson right away. But when we do, we grow.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your blog, it feels warm and inviting. The grief issue is big isn't it? I agree that we are often taught to by pass it, but it really is important to feel what we need to feel. I like the way you talk about it being important for you yourself to decide what you need to work through grief. I agree that it is a unique journey for each of us.

    ReplyDelete